CULVER CITY, CALIF. (NOVEMBER 4, 2019) – Award-winning director Alex Kendrick (WAR ROOM, COURAGEOUS) delivers an inspirational, edge-of-your-seat experience in the family-friendly sports drama OVERCOMER debuting on digital November 26 and coming to Blu-ray™ and DVD December 17, from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, AFFIRM Films and Provident Films.
The third Kendrick Brothers film to earn a rare A+ CinemaScore®, OVERCOMER also stars Priscilla Shirer (WAR ROOM, I CAN ONLY IMAGINE), Shari Rigby (OCTOBER BABY, WILDFLOWER), Cameron Arnett (MEET THE BROWNS, STAND YOUR GROUND) and newcomer Aryn Wright-Thompson.
OVERCOMER is from the creators of the #1 box-office hit War Room. Life changes overnight for coach John Harrison (Kendrick) after he loses his basketball team and is challenged by the school’s principal, Olivia (Shirer), to coach a new sport he doesn’t know or like. As John questions his own worth, he dares to help the least likely runner take on the biggest race of the year. Filled with a powerful mix of faith, humor and heart, this inspirational story will have you on the edge of your seat.
The Blu-ray, DVD and digital release come with an extensive array of bonus material, including 10 minutes of extended and deleted scenes, fun bloopers, exclusive commentary by the Kendrick Brothers, and a moving in-depth looks at the power of forgiveness, identity and more.
Church site licenses are available for pre-purchase November 4 and will begin shipping the week of December 9.
A special Kendrick Brothers Six Movie DVD Gift Set will also be available exclusively at Walmart beginning December 17. The set will contain fan-favorite films OVERCOMER, WAR ROOM, COURAGEOUS, FIREPROOF, FACING THE GIANTS, and FLYWHEEL.
OVERCOMER has a runtime of approximately 119 minutes and is rated PG for some thematic elements.
BLU-RAY AND DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE BONUS MATERIALS
- The Heart of Overcomer: See how the heart of Overcomer is grounded in personal growth, faith and identity.
- Creating the Opening Drone Shot: See how the stunning opening drone shot of the film was realized with a lot of ingenuity and a well-organized crew.
- Working with the Kendricks: Watch how Alex, Stephen and Shannon Kendrick found their path to filmmaking through authenticity and faith.
- Looks Behind-the-Scenes of: Editing, Composing, Coloring and Sound Design
- “Enough” (Lyric Video) Featuring Koryn Hawthorne
- Don’t Mess with the Editors: Check out what the editors of Overcomer created on the side for a little fun.
BONUS FEATURES AVAILABLE ON BLU-RAY, DVD AND DIGITAL
- Feature Audio Commentary with Director Alex Kendrick and Producer Stephen Kendrick
- Bloopers & Outtakes
- 10 Minutes of Additional Scenes with an introduction from the Kendrick Brothers.
- The Making of Overcomer: Learn about how the crew worked together with faith and prayer to create this incredible film.
- The Theme of Identity: In this piece the cast and crew discuss what the theme of identity means to them.
- The Power of Forgiveness: Describes why forgiveness is such an important theme of this film.
- “Overcomer” (Lip Sync Music Video) Featuring Mandisa
- Overcomer in 60 Seconds: a quick fun film recap.
- Overcomer Resources Video: Learn more about accompanying resources to help you grow in faith.
CAST AND CREW
Director: Alex Kendrick
Screenplay By: Alex Kendrick and Stephen Kendrick
Producers: Aaron Burns, Justin Tolley, Stephen Kendrick
Executive Producer: Shannon Kendrick
Cast: Alex Kendrick, Priscilla Shirer, Shari Rigby, Cameron Arnett and introducing Aryn Wright-Thompson
FOR MORE INFORMATION
ABOUT SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT
Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE’s global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition, and distribution; television production, acquisition, and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies. SPE’s Motion Picture Group production organizations include Columbia Pictures, Screen Gems, TriStar Pictures, Sony Pictures Animation, Stage 6 Films, AFFIRM Films, and Sony Pictures Classics. For additional information, visit http://www.sonypictures.com/corp/divisions.html.
ABOUT AFFIRM FILMS
AFFIRM Films produces, acquires and markets films that inspire, uplift and entertain audiences around the world. Since releasing its first theatrical film—The Kendrick Brothers’ drama FACING THE GIANTS, in 2007, AFFIRM Films has released numerous quality faith-based films including SOUL SURFER, WAR ROOM, OVERCOMER, RISEN, COURAGEOUS, FIREPROOF, WHEN THE GAME STANDS TALL, PAUL APOSTLE OF CHRIST, MOMS’ NIGHT OUT and ALL SAINTS. Additionally, AFFIRM Films partnered with Columbia Pictures on the release of HEAVEN IS FOR REAL and MIRACLES FROM HEAVEN, and THE STAR with Sony Pictures Animation. AFFIRM Films is a division of Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions (SPWA), a Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. (SPE) company. AFFIRMFilms.com
ABOUT PROVIDENT FILMS
Provident Films develops, produces, and markets movies that inspire viewers to receive God’s truth and love. The company is part of the Nashville-based Provident Music Group, a division of Sony Music Entertainment. Provident Films has been a pioneer in faith-based films since 2006, and has a history of industry-leading partnerships including Sherwood Pictures/Kendrick Brothers (OVERCOMER, WAR ROOM, COURAGEOUS, FIREPROOF, and FACING THE GIANTS), The Erwin Brothers (WOODLAWN, MOMS’ NIGHT OUT, and the $83 million box office hit I CAN ONLY IMAGINE), Kirk Cameron (CONNECT), and Graceworks Pictures (INDIVISIBLE). For more information, go to ProvidentFilms.org.
ABOUT KENDRICK BROTHERS PRODUCTIONS
Kendrick Brothers Productions is the company of brothers Alex, Stephen and Shannon Kendrick that exists to honor God and share the truth and love of Jesus Christ through movies, books, curriculum and speaking. By blending engaging stories with doctrinal integrity, the Kendrick’s seek to encourage and inspire audiences with resources that positively impact their lives and strengthen their faith, families, and personal relationships.