Universal City, California, September 29, 2020 – Experience the astonishing story of three children whose shared spiritual visions heralded a miracle and has inspired millions in Picturehouse’s FATIMA, the uplifting and historical drama based on the captivating story of one of the Catholic Church’s most fabled places of pilgrimage. Filled with timely themes of faith, hope and resilience, the film is available to own for the first time on Digital on October 13, 2020 and on DVD on October 27, 2020 from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. Depicting the events leading up to the astonishing phenomenon in Portugal, “The Miracle of the Sun,” FATIMA’s release on Digital coincides with the 103rd anniversary of that incredible event which took place on Oct 13th, 1917. Packed with bonus features, the Digital and DVD versions of the film showcase extras, including a special look into the recording of original song, “Gratia Plena,” from legendary tenor Andrea Bocelli and written by Paolo Buonvino, the film’s composer, along with never-before-seen content, including featurettes and interviews with the cast and crew that take audiences behind the scenes of the compelling story about faith and the enduring power of the human spirit.
In 1917, outside the parish of Fátima, Portugal, a 10-year-old girl and her two younger cousins witness multiple visitations of the Virgin Mary, who tells them that only prayer and suffering will bring an end to WWI. Word of the sighting spreads across the country, inspiring religious pilgrims to flock to the site in hopes of witnessing a miracle. Inspired by real-life events and starring Goran Višnjić (Beginners), Joaquim de Almeida (“Queen of the South”), Stephanie Gil (Terminator: Dark Fate), Lúcia Moniz (Love, Actually), with Golden Globe® nominee Sônia Braga (Aquarius) and Academy Award® nominee Harvey Keitel (The Piano), FATIMA has been hailed by critics as “beautiful and moving,” (Richard Roeper, Chicago Sun Times) and is an uplifting story about the power of faith.
Directed by Marco Pontecorvo (“Game of Thrones”) with a script from Pontecorvo, Valerio D’Annunzio (“Il Restauratore”) and Barbara Nicolosi (In Memory), FATIMA also features two songs from the world-renowned Italian operatic tenor and Grammy Award®-nominee Andrea Bocelli. The songs, “Gloria” and lead single “Gratia Plena,” which is a brand-new original song composed for the movie by Paolo Buonvino, are also featured on the film’s soundtrack album, which debuted at retailers nationwide on August 28, 2020.
BONUS FEATURES on DVD AND DIGITAL:
- Andrea Bocelli: The Making Of “Gratia Plena” – Watch the recording of an original song from the film, “Gratia Plena,” performed by legendary operatic tenor Andrea Bocelli and hear what inspired him to become involved with the story of FATIMA.
- The Vision of Director Marco Pontecorvo – A deeper look at the emotional and spiritual story as writer/director Marco Pontecorvo discusses the making of the film and the inspiration behind his vision to bring FATIMA to the screen.
- Meet the Seers of FATIMA – The talented young stars who play the shepherds share their experiences making FATIMA, life on set and what they hope audiences take away from the film.
- Meet the Cast of FATIMA – Discover the real-life characters portrayed in FATIMA as you sit down with the extraordinary cast who discuss their roles and the making of the period piece.
- The Making of a Miracle – An inside look at the reimagining of the historical spectacular “The Miracle of the Sun” depicted in the film.
- Behind the Lens of FATIMA – Go behind the camera with the crew of FATIMA as they reveal the filmmaking process to bring the inspirational and emotional spiritual drama to life.
- Set Design and the Art of Cristina Onori – A featurette showcasing the historic filming locations and how production designer Cristina Onori worked to bring this specific time period in Portugal to life.
- Costume Design and the Art of Daniela Ciancio – See up-close the process costume designer Daniela Ciancio took to bring an authentic look and feel to the clothes featured in FATIMA.
FATIMA will be available on DVD and Digital.
- DVD offers the flexibility and convenience of playing movies in more places, both at home and away.
- Digital lets fans watch movies anywhere on their favorite devices. Users can instantly stream or download.
- Movies Anywhere is the digital app that simplifies and enhances the digital movie collection and viewing experience by allowing consumers to access their favorite digital movies in one place when purchased or redeemed through participating digital retailers. Consumers can also redeem digital copy codes found in eligible Blu-rayTM and DVD disc packages from participating studios and stream or download them through Movies Anywhere. Movies Anywhere is only available in the United States. For more information, visit https://moviesanywhere.com.
Starring: Joaquim de Almeida, Goran Višnjić, Stephanie Gil, Alejandra Howard, Jorge Lamelas, Lúcia Moniz, Marco D’Almeida, Joana Ribeiro with Sônia Braga and Harvey Keitel
Music Supervisor: Giovanni Arcadu
Costume Designer: Daniela Ciancio
Production Designer: Cristina Onori
Editor: Alessio Doglione
Cinematography By: Vincenzo Carpineta
Music By: Paolo Buonvino
Executive Producers: Marco Valerio Pugini, Holly Carney, David Fischer, Frida Torresblanco and Matthew J. Malek
Co-Executive Producer: David Nicksic
Co-Producer: Ute Leonhardt, Edoardo Ferretti
Produced By: James T. Volk, Dick Lyles, Stefano Buono, Maribel Lopera Sierra, Marco Pontecorvo, Rose Ganguzza, Natasha Howes
Written By: Marco Pontecorvo & Valerio D’Annunzio and Barbara Nicolosi
Directed By: Marco PontecorvoTECHNICAL INFORMATION DVD:
Street Date: October 27, 2020
Selection Number: 45210113 (US) / 45212522 (CDN)
Layers: DVD 9
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 2.39:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
Rating: Rated PG-13 for some strong violence and disturbing images
Sound: English Dolby Digital 5.1, English Dolby 2.0
Language/Subtitles: English SDH, French Canadian and Latin American Spanish Subtitles
Running Time: 1 Hour and 53 Minutes