In the past, Hollywood has successfully attacked and shut down multiple family-friendly movie filtering services, including CleanFilms and GoodMovies.
The latest company under fire is VidAngel, a service that allows users to pick and choose which content they want filtered out via a streaming movie service. The service was abruptly shut down at the beginning of the year, with the service hoping to combat it.
VidAngel responded yesterday with an update, asking service users and supporters to help:
We lost this round of the legal battle, which means the movies will need to remain down for at least the next couple of months.
The good news is that several members of Congress have already reached out, asking how to help save filtering! In fact, the very same team that got the Family Movie Act of 2005 passed is leading VidAngel’s efforts in Washington, DC.
Now is your chance to help! If VidAngel has improved the life of your family, please reach out to your senators and congressperson to make your voice heard.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
Go to SaveFiltering.VidAngel.com and enter your ZIP Code to find the contact info for your Senators and Congressperson.
Then, reach out in one of the following ways:
- Most effective: Visit their office. You can drop off a letter if you have time.
- Very effective: Give them a quick phone call.
- Effective: Post to their Facebook or Twitter accounts.
- Least Effective: Emailing (often ends up in spam folders).
In your messages, please address the following:
- Describe how important streamed filtering has been to you and your family.
- Emphasize that hollywood should not have veto right when it comes to how you watch movies in your own home.
- Finally, ask congress to amend the Family Movie Act to make it even clearer that streamed filtering IS legal.
Remember, a small company got the Family Movie Act passed in 2005. Today, over 1 million Americans are watching VidAngel, and you have given us over $10 million.
We can win this.
Help save filtering by reaching out to representatives and sharing this video with friends. We are just getting started. Thank you so much for your support.
All the best,